The Pros and Cons: Uni Summer Break Edition
June 21st. I moved out of the University after having my last deadline a month prior. Staying at my accommodation to have my own space to relax and ease my mind afterwards was so freeing. Being able to leave the house at any time you wanted because you’re in such a convenient area, and getting a quick midnight snack because it’s a 5-minute walk away was pure bliss. The duality of education is so confusing because as a student you dread the workload and the lectures of a course you picked due to your supposed passion for it however as soon as summer hits (unless you have an internship or have been able to acquire a job) you end up missing the structure of the student days and trying to find something to fill the void inside of you. Dramatic? Maybe. Real? Yes.
Everyone is fighting the battle of job hunting on Indeed with their CVs and it is honestly demotivating, especially after bulk applying when you’re feeling desperate. You wait patiently for the company to get back to you and all you see in the email is the word “Unfortunately…”. Back to the drawing board, you go. At some point, you stop applying because you’re going back to university so soon that it’s time to change the location for where you’re applying and then the cycle continues. I had my first job when I turned 16. I worked in Card Factory as a Christmas Temp because I wanted to buy AirPods. It was a form of motivation to get me to apply because I was nervous about being in an environment that wasn't familiar but I really wanted Airpods. I completed my contract, made my purchase and in the end, was so satisfied that I had to get another job. It was only right! The process was so much easier back then and I still get some nostalgia from it. In comparison to now, being at university and trying to uphold a lifestyle or even pay for bills and rent is really hard on the soul be
Now to look at the bright side of things, being able to see my friends and celebrate summer birthdays without the dread of submission haunting me. Hitting the town and the sun only starts setting at a cheeky 9pm so you can frolic around like a free spirit. It is liberating to be able to become an adult despite the responsibilities that follow you with it. I seriously appreciate how I have the freedom to become who I want in the way I want to without outside opinions affecting me as much as they did when I was younger. I have been able to come to terms with certain regrets and fulfil them in the present day (slowly but surely) and you are able to as well. Growing as a person really opens your perspective and outlook on your future and you see that your dreams can really become a reality because if it exists, you can just do it.
This was not meant to be a rant but more of a reflection and to show that you’re not really alone in your struggles.
- Martina

Comments
Post a Comment